HOW TO VOTE EARLY BY MAIL
*IF YOU APPLY ONLINE PLEASE DISREGARD STEP 1
- Download an absentee ballot application, then mail, fax or email it to your local elections office. You can also drop it off in person at your local elections office. You do not need to be registered to vote to request an absentee ballot. Election officials will mail the absentee ballot materials to you soon after receiving your application.
- Once you receive your ballot in the mail, follow the instructions carefully. You will need a witness to sign the absentee ballot signature envelope to confirm your ballot was delivered blank and that you marked the ballot in private. The witness must be another registered Minnesota voter, or a notary from any state.
- If you are not registered to vote, a voter registration application will be included in the materials. You must show your witness an accepted proof of residence when registering.
- Return the ballot on or before Election Day. Delivery options:
- Mail it in the provided pre-paid envelope or by package delivery service. The ballot must arrive on or before Election Day.
- Deliver it in-person to the office that sent the absentee ballot by 5 p.m. on the day before the election.
- Have someone else return your ballot before 3 p.m. on Election Day. This person cannot deliver more than three ballots.
- You may not hand deliver your own absentee ballot on Election Day.